WESTLEIGH PARISH
councillors meeting dates minutes and agendas AGM miutes May 24 Minutes May 24 budget emergency plan governance internal audit report risk assessment Transparency policies

DRAFT MINUTES

Westleigh Parish Council – Minutes of a meeting of the Parish Council held on Wednesday 19th September 2018 at the Westleigh Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

Present: Cllrs K. Farrell-Roberts (Acting Chairman), L. Burgess, B. Moores, C. Heard, S.Ettling

In attendance: Mr. M. Harris, Parish Clerk, Cllr F. Bierderman, Devon County Council.

It was agreed by all present that Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts should take the Chair in the absence of the Chairman and Vice Chair.

MH09.18.1        Apologies

1. Apologies were recorded on behalf of Cllrs K. Griffin L. Gear, J. Edwards.

MH09.18.2

Declarations of Interest

2. Members were reminded that all interests must be declared prior to the item being discussed.     

MH09.18.3   

3. To approve, and sign the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on the 1st August 2018


It was resolved, to confirm and sign the minutes as a true record

Proposed:  Cllr K. Farrell- Roberts, Seconded: Cllr B. Moores. (all in favour)

There were no matters arising.


MH09.18.4

4. Guest Speaker – Sue Southwell – Devon Communities Together – Rural Housing Enabling Officer

Sue Southwell outlined the need for the Parish Council to consider the provision of affordable housing according to local demand.  The most recent Housing Needs Survey for the Parish was undertaken in 2010 and identified that four people had expressed a need for affordable housing.

Sue confirmed that a recent meeting had taken place with Christie Estates to discuss in principle the willingness to work with Westleigh and Instow Parish Councils to address any identified need for affordable housing.

To take forward a scheme, there would be a need for the Parish Council to commission a new Housing Needs Survey.

Sue explained the Parish Council would need to coordinate the Survey in conjunction with Devon Communities Together.

Sue had previously circulated details of the survey to all Councillors.  Cllrs K. Farrell – Roberts had concerns over the content of the covering letter and suggested that if the Parish Council took forward a survey, a letter would be drafted by the Parish.  

It was resolved, in principle, that the Parish Council would commit to undertaking a new Housing Needs Surveys, subject to the identification of associated costs for consideration at the next Parish Council Meeting.

Proposed:  Cllr l. Burgess, and seconded by Cllr B. Moores (all in favour)

MH09:18.5

5. Correspondence and Communication:

a) The following items of correspondence were received:

Christie Estates – repairs to Village Hall fence - circulated

Brian Lees – St Peters Churchyard Path – circulated


Dan Elston – Westleigh Cricket Club – circulated

Barrie & Sandra Webb – Planning issue, Walled garden adjacent to White Lodge Westleigh – noted


Ken Miles NDC – re Councillors register of interests – Action: Cllr Chris Heard to forward register of interests form to the Clerk.


b) County and District Council Ward Members Reports

Cllr F. Biederman – Devon County Council – reported on the following matters:

Work on the Torridge Bridge is et to commence with overnight work over the next 3 months.

Budget overspends on Children’s Services due to the high level of issues.

Highways – generally a higher standard of services and repairs under the new contractors.  Significant progress made on the list of repairs.

Cllr B. Moores – North Devon District Council - confirmed that there were no major issues to report for this meeting.               

Public Session – at the discretion of the Chairman members of the public can ask questions and make comments to the Council.

No members of the public were present at the meeting.


MH09.18.6

Financial Matters

a)  To receive an update on the current financial position.

The Parish Clerk reported that the current balance in the Parish account is £5,019.00


b)   To receive any accounts to pay:

To approve payments as follows:

Jeremy Harris – Parish Maintenance - £150 – cheque No 100455

The Acorn Workshop – Footpath signage - £410 – cheque No 100457

St Peters Church – Footpath improvement grant - £350 – Cheque No 100456


It was resolved to approve the above payments.

Proposed: Cllr K. Farrell-Roberts Seconded: Cllr B. Moores (all in favour)

     


c)  To note any income received:


None received.


d) Any other financial issues

        

The Parish Clerk reported back on the meeting of the Finance Sub Group held on the 19th September.  Present at the meeting Cllr C. Heard and the Parish Clerk.  Cllr J. Edwards forwarded his apologies.


1.  Half yearly financial position – the cash book and the balance on the bank statement on the 1st September balanced at a figure of £5,019.00.


2. 2018/19 Budget – position statement. Two underspends were raised on the Clerks salary and the maintenance budget.  The Clerk confirmed that by the year end both budgets would be spent.


3. Risk Assessment 2018 – An issue was raised relating to the health & safety policy and safe working methods of the current parish maintenance contractor.  Action: The Clerk to request copies of the documents from the contractor.

A record of inspection of assets is required for insurance purposes. Action:  The clerk to request the contractor to undertake a visual check of all assets on the maintenance visits and confirm any defects by e-mail to the Clerk.


4. Annual Governance Statement 2018/19 – No issues


It was resolved to approve the Annual Governance Statement 2018/19.


Proposed:  Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts, seconded: Cllr B. Moores (all in favour)                                          

        

MH09:18.7      Planning Matters


a)  New planning applications


Listed building application to replace three windows at 1 Rock Cottage, Eastleigh – no comments/observations.

                                 

b)  Planning decisions


Outline Application for Erection of Dwelling at Land Adj Little Court, Eastleigh.  Application withdrawn

                                  

c)  Other planning issues

Walled garden adjacent to White Lodge Westleigh - Agreed to e-mail the Enforcement Officer in support of letter from Barrie & Sandra Webb. Action: Parish Clerk.


3, Oman’s Cottage – enforcement issue – agreed to wait the outcome of any enforcement action from NDC

                                


MH09:18.8     Review of Parish Projects

a)  Westleigh Footpath

The Clerk reported that the footpath signage posts have arrived, and arrangements will now be made with a contractor for installation.  The delivery of the plannings for improvements to the surface is still outstanding.             

b)  Parish Action Plan


The Parish Clerk agreed to present an Action Plan to the next meeting.


c)  Village Hall Fencing


Christie Estates have completed the repair work                             


d)  Defibrillator Training


In the absence of Cllr K. Griffin this item will be deferred to the November meeting.

               

e)  Eastleigh Phone Box


Cllr C. Heard reported that following discussions with some residents in Eastleigh there was general agreement that the use of the phone box as a library should continue.  The phone box requires a repaint and tidy up.   It was also suggested that a defibrillator could be located in Eastleigh.

Action:  Cllr C Heard to coordinate local action to repaint/tidy the phone box.  Item on the November meeting to discuss a defibrillator for Eastleigh.


f)  Data Privacy Notice Policy – Parish Council website

 

The Clerk submitted a draft Data Privacy Notice policy for the website.


It was resolved to approve the policy. (all in favour)


Proposed: Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts seconded:  Cllr S. Ettling

                                                 

MH09:18.9     

Agenda items for the next meeting

Westleigh Footpath

Eastleigh Phone Box/Defibrillator

Highway Issues – standing item

Parish Clerk review of hours

Parish Action Plan

Budget setting/precept

Grants for 2019/20


There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.40pm


The next Meeting of the Parish Council will take place at the Westleigh Village Hall on Wednesday 21st, November, commencing at 7.30pm.