Home The Village Parish Council Village Hall Gallery Church Places of Interest Parish Walks Cricket Club Events Links Contact


This page leads you directly to the page of your interest, from that page then please use the ‘back’ arrow (top left) to return.

VILLAGE HISTORY The settlement of Westleigh is Saxon in origin. It featured in the Domesday Book of 1086

The First Vicarage (now White Lodge) The living was originally a rectory, but in 13th century, the last Rector, Symon Stiria resigned, and the Dean and Chapter appropriated the rectorial tithe.

Westleigh Hearth Tax 1674

White’s Devonshire Directory (1850)

Westleigh School 1912/1928

Air view 1936

Church History The Church of St Peter is very ancient From the ‘Pleas of the Crown’ of the 13th Century

The churchwardens of Westleigh 1707 by Peter Christie

A Guide to the Manors of Westleigh Parish This resource links all the manorial units of Devon with the parishes in which they were situated, from Domesday Book (1086) to the abolition of copyhold tenure in 1922

Muster Roll 1569

The old Road(Track) to shore 1828

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)

Deeds of Vicarage 1930 (this was the 2nd vicarage)

War Evacuees

Southcott Barton By David Fryer Published in the North Devon Journal 17th August 1955

Westleigh 1841 Tithe Apportionment Transcribed by Charles Harper With acknowledgements to Devon Record Office

CHRISTIE of Tapeley Park The following has been provided by Rosemary Lauder (who lives in the Parish) from her book “Devon Families”

Christenings Westleigh 1560-1697

1857 Sale of three cottages

General History Just some odd notes

Ships in River Torridge 1930

Coronation list of Householders

Jubilee 2002

Domesday Book 1085

Marriages 1561-1697

Brief Notes from Parish Meetings 4th December 1894 to 8th January 1975

1881 Census: Residents of Barnstaple Union Workhouse, Barnstaple

Downmans Cottages

Total population by age 1991

Diptheria in Westleigh by Peter Christie !904

Notes on Parish Church In 1280 occurs the first reference to a church in this Parish, though undoubtedly there it had been standing for some time then. The reference is question occurs in Bishop’s Registers, and refers to a case of “Sanctuary” having been sought in the church of St Meodam

1653 -1837 Westleigh STRAYS

First Parish Meeting 1894

Mine in Westleigh


The old Taw Vale Railway track

History of Torr House